Tuesday, March 3, 2009

5 facts about Ruud and Copywriting

1) I hate writing property ads. 

There are only so many ways you can describe a fucking apartment. I will eventually write copy that reads as such:

Headline: 
Nice and tall.

Body:
Look at the pictures, that's all you care about anyway. BTW 3 bed 2 bath.

The expensive ones are alright to play with because the fucking architect has to justify why the helipad is phallus-shaped. These buildings cost billions of dollars and we have to find a creative way to tell people they should invest in it.  So you will eventually own something that only 0.1% of people alive today can afford should you want to resell.


2) I secretly like working late

Raised Catholic, I had to endure the rigours that everyone with religious parents must go through. Missing out on a fuckload of Sunday morning cartoons. Sigh. 

Even though I've cast away most belief that comes with organised religion, one thing remains.

CATHOLIC GUILT

Hence why I often feel like I don't work hard enough. But working past midnight every other day makes up for this. It's almost cathartic going home after a long day. Even if it's only so I can bitch and whine about it to a certain few.


3) I don't believe in scams

I think work suffers so much from scamming. I've been fortunate enough to work at two different agencies under bosses that would rather focus on real work. Unfortunately, the sad truth is people that bring in metal get that big fat paycheck and BMW. I just keep reminding myself why I got into the industry in the first place: I love the work. 

We probably won't win as much but it's a better life than thinking about fake posters and outdoor.


4) Several of my friends whom I've known for years before entering the workforce also work in advertisng

Birds of a feather flock together? We're spread across several agencies now but it's not something that any of us thought we'd do. I guess when you discover the deep dark pleasures of the ad world, it's hard to turn away. Some of them have even jumped ship from other industries. 

The most romantic of stories: My rasta cowboy buddy Nik Nadzru. 

Investment banker turned copywriter before anyone even know about an economic meltdown. Is that fucking rad or what? If you didn't know by now, the creative industry has been the next big thing for the last 5 years or so. 

We just didn't tell you. 

So you wouldn't join the industry.

If we did, I'd get paid less.

Yes, go be an engineer or something.

I heard lawyers get good money.

Anyway.


5) It is my fucking goal right now to work "TO THE MAX" into some sort of campaign

I realise this catchphrase of the late 80's and early 90's has all but disappeared. But that's the beauty of it. All you mafakkers that try your best ain't good enough, because you ain't doing it TO THE MAX.

Time to pitch for the Pepsi Max account.








2 comments:

The Ruud said...

Glad you're not a copywriter? :p

I guess in a way we're lucky there's been a ban on almost all media for ciggs. Barring posm or random btl.

NiK! said...

awww...Reindeer...

U didn't haveto yo! (Kembang bontot siot)

Cheers 4d mad props....can't wait for AWARD School to start at the end of this month so I can polish and enrich me copywritin skills.

Been thinking too much like an investment banker these days and lost the magic touch / sense of wonder I had during me 95% stint.

*Rasta Cowboy