Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The power of names

It wasn't too long ago I read Freakonomics. My opinion? Interesting but too skewed on specific American events. I'm aware the writers are American, but I had hoped it would be more globalised. I guess Malcom Gladwell has created a response to fulfill my inane desire.


There was this one chapter in Freakonomics though, talking about names. How people with certain names did better and the ones named Honeytree Beesforfree* weren't exactly the world beaters we know today.



How I was named
Story goes my dad had a good friend called Rudy Frei(sp?) and I was named after him. German fellow. I never met the man, hence I suspect I'm some sort of biological homage. Which is fine and dandy, but turns out the guy's full name was Rudolph. This is what I was told.

On occasion I wonder if it was just some cruel joke, debated how much my parents liked Christmas, pondered on the possibility of it being a character building procedure.

Or maybe they were just fucktards that didn't think that far ahead. I was their first kid after all.**

Anyway.

Cue a decade and-a-half of mocking from Children and even authority figures.

I guess it did build character. It's just one of those things, you let it eat you and deny with full vehemence the true nature of your calling. Or you deal with it and tell them, "So what? Are you some sort of bigot? DO YOU HATE ZE GERMANS?".

Love the irony of playing the racist card because of a German name.

I think it was just last week someone added me on facebook, where my full name is displayed. Having been introduced to her as Rudy, I waited for the inevitable response.

"OMG YOUR FULL NAME IS RUDOLPH HAHAHAHHAHA".

Before I respond with my usual:

"Yes, it's German".


It's really grown on me. I like it. Besides, how many reindeer do you know?



*I'd like to digress, I'm sure she's head of a hippy commune.

**I love you guys ;p

No comments: