Monday, February 2, 2009

Best ad campaigns of the last couple months

People love ads.

Or rather, good ads.

Working in advertising, I find that people have been quite polite towards me despite my profession. Though surveys show that most of you consider me to be lower than insurance salesmen on the likeable scale.

We in the industry tell ourselves it's because you're jealous of all the big parties, hot models, cool clothes and laissez faire attitude in creative departments.

But looking at some of the ads we get that make it to mass media, I'm not surprised you think we're morons.

There are many factors to this, but if you want a lecture on the dynamics of creative marketing, I'd point you to I have an idea. Or go intern in a fucking ad office. Free labour is never a bad thing. Call me. Pretty girls are more likely to get in*.

I'd show you which campaigns I've worked on, but shy la.**

Anyway.

No one hits a home run 100% of the time, for the most part we're just trying to win the game on aggregate. But once in awhile we do get the stuff that puts a smile on your face. You then talk about it, show it to your friends. That's what we try to do. It's hard but we don't stop trying.

Here are a few home runs

Heineken




Fairly simple idea. The production/director saves this. If you looked at the storyboard for this it would look as simple as:

1. Girls go to room

2. Girls walk into massive closet and scream

3. Male screaming in the background

4. Cut to men in a similarly large fridge

5. Men scream and clap as women do when they see shoes/babies/Patrick Dempsey

The sell to the client had to be fucking amaizng.


T-mobile



Flash mob idea.

Truth be told I fucking hate flashmobs. They've been done to death by every ad exec who's had anything resembling a half-baked idea. The beauty of this is the sheer execution. Getting that amount of choreography into a hall of that size with that many pedestrians is harder than teaching chimps a rendition of West Side Story.

It's just hard.




Electrabel is a power company for some countries in yoorup.

The message is fairly simple: lighting up your fucking shit.


There's a recurring theme in these ads. I don't blame you if you don't notice it, because I only did like 2 seconds ago. Seems to me that they're all simple ideas, and what seperates them from everything else you'd see on TV/Internet is the amount of work that has gone into bringing your idea to life.

Most of the time we sit in a room trying to think of something completely radical, just so you'll notice us. The thing with the radical is that sometimes the message gets lost in the idea. We are often tempted to be creative for the sake of being creative.

Maybe we should forget that and focus more on the craft.

*There's a valid reason for this. We deal with a lot of clients and no matter what department you're in, at some point you're expected to present/sell ideas. Most clients are dirty old men, or dirty old aunties. Making them like you is never a bad thing. Also I like hot women.

**This is a complete lie. If you're with me in the real world, I will stop the fucking car to show you which ad is mine while yelling , "HEY I DID THAT THATS MINE AREN'T I FUCKING AWESOME?!"

6 comments:

Holly Jean said...

haha.. i actually loved tht Hieneken commercial!! fucking funny.

The Ruud said...

Yeah it's brilliant. Best beer ad in years.

The Ruud said...

I think you've got us confused with my old agency :p

The Ruud said...

That's not true.

MUCH TO MY DISDAIN.

I'm aware there are quite a few pretty ladies over at your office though.

Matthew Cain said...

I think T-Mobile should apologise for its role in the flashmob: http://blog.matthewcain.co.uk/should-t-mobile-apologise-for-flash-mob/

The Ruud said...

Interesting point of view.

Perhaps they underestimated the viral quality of their advertisement. We can never be sure how successful a campaign will be, even less so the nature of a single ad.

I feel an apology would be politically correct, but this argument feels too similar to any scenario where someone copies something else they see in movies/TV/video games.

I don't think anyone would complain if an axe body spray was re-enacted. Not the men anyway.

The police didn't think it was too big an issue anyway. Stating,

"We had to make a couple of arrests for public order offences, but on the whole it was a peaceful and fun event."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/facebook/4542840/Flash-mob-mimicks-T-Mobile-advert---and-closes-train-station.html

I'd leave it to their PR guys to sort out.

I've got my own campaigns to work on. Hahaha.