Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Malaysia

Panic on the streets of London.

Panic on the streets of Birmingham.

I wonder to myself.

Would life ever be sane again?

That oh-so-familiar tune from The Smiths has been on constant repeat in my mind over the past few days. Except I substitute London for KL and Birmingham for PJ.


Recently several churches in the KL and PJ area were torched by mysterious villains. If you don't keep track of current events, here's why.

Raised Catholic, I've kept quiet on the issue. But after much thought I've decided to speak up. Religion, skin colour, accent and the rest aside, I'm probably as Malaysian as you can get.

'Well how is THAT possible, Mr. Rudolph Christopher La Faber?'

You may ask.

Well.

1. I am a fucking minority. I honestly get tired of people complaining about being second class citizens. Technically, I'm not even on the list. I have to tick Dan Lain Lain in every fucking government race criteria. Do you know what that means? OTHERS. You OTHER PEOPLE. I know what it's like to be discriminated against.

2. I also happen to be bumiputera. Which makes me part of the majority. So I know what it's like to be in that group.

3. I've renounced my faith many years ago. So I'm not going to play favourites here for the "bros". Whatever beliefs I adhere to are unique to Rudyism (Hey that's my blog url, I haven't mentioned that's where I got it from after all these years).

4. My mom is part Iban. Ethnic yo. My ancestors were here looooooooooooong before anyone else.

So now that I'm a credible source, what do I think?




Honestly it doesn't matter.

And therein lies the problem.

Please register to vote in the next election if you haven't done so.

Then vote responsibly.



No comments: